Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Exclusive Interview with UFC Fighter Demian Maia!




With an impressive professional record of 11-0-0, Brazilian UFC Fighter, Demian Maia consistently satisfies UFC fans. He has faced and dominated opponents like Nate Quarry, Jason McDonald and Ed Herman.

All of his UFC fights so far have ended in a submission win, but on August 29th at UFC 102, he will face the Colorado striker, Nate Marquardt.

Kekai MMA set out to talk with Demian to ask a few questions about his upcoming fight and some personal crap too. We played phone tag for a couple days, but finally spoke on the phone today. Here are Kekai's questions and the answers of Demian Maia:

Kekai:

"You're facing Nate Marquardt at UFC 102, where are you training and how is your training camp going?"

Demian Maia:

"I usually train in Brazil, but right now I am in Las Vegas training at Wanderlei's place. I go back to Brazil soon, but I'll come back around a week before the fight."

Kekai:

"What is your gameplan for the fight? What is your prediction?"

Demian Maia:

"I want to grapple with Nate. I haven't watched his fights yet, but I have the tape and will watch his fighting soon. It's impossible to predict, but I want to win by submission."

Kekai:

"As you're getting more recognized in the United States through the UFC, are you getting more recognized and how do you like the US fan base?"

Demian Maia:

"I love it, it is so big here. Everyone knows MMA here."

Kekai:

"If you were unable to fight ever again and HAD to do something else in life, what would you do?"

Demian Maia:

"Um, I think something in nature, or with animals. A biologist or a vet or something."

Kekai:

"On that note, if you could be any animal, what would it be?"

Demian Maia:

"Uh, a fighting animal...fast, flexible, in the jungle and in the rainforrest. It's called an "Omsa". It's like a tiger or what you call mountain lion thats yellow."

Kekai:

"What is the biggest difference between American and Brazilian girls?"

Demian Maia:

"It is hard for me to say, because I am married in Brazil. The difference between Americans and Brazilians....Americans are very nice, but Brazilians people are a little more warm."

Kekai:

"Have you been in many street fights? If so, how did they end mostly?"

Demian Maia:

"No, not really. I never liked street fights or violence. I never looked for fights, but you know things happen. When I did, I did well."

Kekai:

"Have you ever cried in a movie? If you could play any role in a movie, what would it be?"

Demian Maia:

"[chuckles] Yes, many times. I would play Al Pacino in the Godfather."

Kekai:

"If you could choke out anyone in the world for one million dollars, who would it be and what hold would you use?"

Demian Maia:

"Um, I like all fighters. Everyone has the same job & I respect them. Maybe someone in a government office or something. A Rear Naked Choke."

Kekai:

"Would you ever go on a fishing trip with Nate Marquardt? If it happened, what would you guys talk about?"

Demian Maia:

"Yea, if i could go, I would go, but after the fight. I like all fighters, but after the fight. I love to fish. I would talk about training. Ask him about his training, how he eats, how he lives his life. He is a colleague."

We wrapped up our phone conversation as he told me a story of when him and his wife drove up the coast of California a few years ago. He spoke casually and it was obvious that he does not have an arrogant bone in his body. This guy is humble and very down to earth.

At UFC 102, we will see a battle between the Brazilian native, Demian Maia and Colorado based, Nate Marquardt. With an undefeated record, we hope to see Maia take it to the ground and end the fight once again with a quick submission.

Check out this video of Demian Maia training in Vegas with Wanderlei Silva:



(This interview was conducted over the phone and paraphrased between Kekai MMA and UFC star Demian Maia)

1 comment:

  1. Great interview sir. Demian maia is my favorite fighter! Great use of jiu jitsu

    ReplyDelete