Thursday, April 29, 2010

UFC 117: Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva!


Chael Sonnen recently confirmed with Sherdog Radio that he will in fact, face the Middleweight Champ, Anderson Silva UFC 117 is expected to take place at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif.

I signed my contract and sent it in six minutes after it hit my fax machine. He’s been hanging on to (his contract) for 10 days and hasn’t signed it yet,” said Sonnen. “I’ll be fighting August 7 against somebody. I’m presuming it’s him, but again, he’s had it for 10 days. I don’t know if fax machines aren’t working in Brazil or what the holdup is.”

Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, said that he’d received Silva’s contract last Thursday and that the fighter would sign it when he returned from a vacation with his family.

It’s on,” Soares said of the bout. “There’s no doubt about it.”

Sonnen told Bruce Buffer that he’s already begun his preparation for Silva, who hasn’t been beaten in the Octagon yet in 11 fights.

He never comes out and just strikes,” said Sonnen. “He always has a few ‘tells’ that he does before he goes, but it also makes him so effective. … So far, I’ve been able to recognize what his set-ups are. I don’t know how to stop them yet. Strategically, that’s what I need to focus on for the next few months.”

Sonnen said he probably won’t rely on Silva’s most recent, and arguably his most controversial, performance against Demian Maia at UFC 112 on April 10 in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.

That’s probably one of those things I won’t study too much because it was just so bizarre,” said Sonnen, “but he has some pretty traditional fights where he comes out in the traditional stance and is, frankly, a better and even more dangerous fighter. That’s the (Silva) I’m preparing for.”

Sonnen is also running for a seat on Oregon’s state legislature, whose primary vote will be held on May 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment