Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fat Boxer James Toney gets signed to the UFC!


The 41-year old has-been boxer was just signed into the UFC! 

This is crazy. 

Although James Tony has an impressive professional boxing record of 73-6-2 with one no contest, this guys is going to flop in the MMA world.  James has stopped 44 of his 72 victims via knockout for an impressive 61% knockout ratio.

When asked about the deal and when Toney would fight, Dana White had this to say;

“We’ll figure something out,” White said. “I’m not really sure. Here’s the thing with James: We were sitting around finishing the deal and talking and he told me that he’d been talking to Strikeforce. He said they were talking to him about a fight with Herschel Walker. James said to me, ‘Do you know what I’d do to that [expletive]?’ He looked at me and said, ‘You know, I have a lot of pride and I’d never do anything to embarrass myself. I’m a fighter. I want to fight. And don’t ever underestimate me.’ ”

Now a lot of controversy is surrounding this deal with the loud mouth boxer.  Dana White had this to say to the critics;

I like James Toney. He’s one of the greatest boxers ever. I have tremendous respect for him. He said he wanted to fight in the UFC and I was interested. Now he’s here and I have to figure out what to do with him. What we won’t do is make a freak show out of it. I’d be the first to scream if someone else did that, so I’m not going to do it.”

Hey, I don’t want this to be seen as a joke, and it’s not like Herschel Walker or Canseco or any of those guys,” White said. “James Toney is a fighter. The worst thing anyone can ever say to me is that they were watching one of my fights and they changed the channel. That’s why I’ll never put [expletive] fights on.

James is an interesting case. We know how much talent he has as a boxer and he insists he’ll surprise people by how much MMA he knows. I’ve still got some thinking to do. But if we promote him and he does well and that raises his profile and he gets a Klitschko fight and makes a lot of money for himself and Goossen, I’d be cool with that. But James came to me and he literally chased me around the country to do it, so I’m giving him the chance. We’ll get it figured out one way or another.”

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ......What is the MMA world coming to?  Dana White is obviously arroused at the proposition to make money off of this douchebag.  The blogs and forums are saying that even though this is retarded, people will pay to see him fight.  I think the only reason why that would happen is to see him get the blubber knocked out of him.  This is like a retarded kid with prosthetic leg going into the Olympics...and not the special olympics either.

This sets the UFC and MMA in general back a few years for sure........congrats Dana White!

(info from fiveouncesof pain, yahoo, sportsillustrated and who knows where else.)

No comments:

Post a Comment